Monday, March 17, 2008

Cangarda

A reader, yikes! Yes, there has been quite a lot of interest in Cangarda, and it is true our website is totally lame and out of date. In our defense, well umm...I think we’ve been more or less cut loose from the project so, aside from taking up 140' of dock outside the door, it’s dropped off the radar screen. Our part in its restoration was quite interesting and purely technical, but we weren't the builders, and provided no project management or any oversight. However, for all the steam aficionados, we will try and update our website to reflect its current condition, just because no one else seems to be doing it. As to its color, strange rig, etc., they were the personal choices of the owner...blame us for other stuff, but not that.

John evidently has been following Cangarda’s progress. For those who have an interest, Cangarda is/was the only existing American example from the short lived era of steam yachting. Here's our Cangarda page
She was built in my hometown of Wilmington, Delaware by the Pusey and Jones Co. in 1901. While I'm not old enough to remember Cangarda being built, I do remember the yard closing down in 1959. Here's a picture taken at the P&J dock in 1901:


As far recent photos and her current condition, it was launched in August of last year and Andrew Worm posted some of his photos here. Since then, it's been sitting at our dock with a few guys picking away at it. Is it going to sail anytime soon? (We could have steam ship pool!). My guess is...well, I better not say. They haven't "raised steam" yet -- I will post that milestone when it occurs. I'm sure the builder, Jeff Rutherford rbsinc@sbcglobal.net, can give a more up to date schedule.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments on Cangarda, pardon me if I say they sound a little slimey. You may not recall, but you met me about a year ago when I made a trip out there just to see this vessel.

I am a former operating engineer and had long conversations with the captain and Dr. MacNeil. They assured me this ship would be operating by last summer and would soon be on the East Coast.

I have a long interest in this ship and offered to help with it. You have a brand new boiler, and I frankly don't see what is causing the delay. This should be a simple matter. Who is advising you on this project?

This is an important American project, and I think the delay is a bit shameful. Do you need help with it?